Help Needed: How do I hire a freelancer that's dependable, predictable and reliable?

usiness is finally grown to the point where I need to hire someone to help out with day-to-day tasks. These include uploading memes to social media, responding to customer inquiries, and some basic simple bookkeeping.

I was thinking a virtual assistant could help but have heard so many horror stories about hiring them. These including them not being dependable or reliable such as they don't show up to work or misrecord the hours worked so you end up overpaying. I'm guessing it all depends on who you hire.

My question is, what challenges have you faced when hiring a freelancer and how did you overcome these challenges? Is it possible to hire a freelancer that's dependable, predictable and reliable? How did you do it?

Smallbusiness | 👁 737 | Posted 2018-11-17 | Share on Facebook | Twitter | Google+

| Modified: 2018-11-17 | Author:

traditionalkid 2 years ago

Thanks for this. I understand the relationship between a contractor vs employee. I should clarify that my question is how do you hire a reliable, predictable and dependable contractor? Could you share some steps you take to mitigate the risk?

traditionalkid 2 years ago

Awesome and thanks for the work trials tip. What work trials do you setup and how long do they last for?

traditionalkid 2 years ago

Thanks for the Facebook groups tip. Which groups would you recommend? Also, how do you quality people to know they are dependable, predictable and reliable?

traditionalkid 2 years ago

Thanks for the insight. What type of questions would you ask when you speak to references to know they are dependable, predictable and reliable?

traditionalkid 2 years ago

Thanks so much! This is super helpful. For point #1, can you clarify what you mean that they all started writing books on how to become a VA and how it relates to references? Did you mean they should have a book about their success in order to be a good VA to hire?

traditionalkid 2 years ago

Thanks for sharing. What you said makes sense about an employee but having the benefits of a freelancer. It sounds like you have experience with freelancers. Can you share what difficulties you faced when hiring them? I would love to hear how you overcome them as well.

TheShadowCat 2 years ago

These include uploading memes to social media, I hate today's economy.

lifeinsurancecanada 2 years ago

Best option, hire locally.

laiktail 2 years ago

Just do work trials. Other people have said the rest here, all good advice.

furryoso 2 years ago

It sounds like you want an employee but want the benefits of a freelancer (payroll, contracting, etc.). There's a give an take... If you're hiring a true freelancer in a contract position, you're not truly offering them reliability either... If you want dependability, reliability, predictability, you generally hire an employee who gets the same from you.

Korus1990 2 years ago

It sounds like you only really need someone for a couple of hours a day?

AnonJian 2 years ago

I'm guessing it all depends on who you hire. A little. It also depends on how you hire. When you hire an employee you check references. When you hire a freelancer you check references. I prefer the glowy thing you hold in your hand, press numbers, then magically talk to someone with. Numbers are those things that don't look like letters.

khhs 2 years ago

Could you Elaborate for me pls? I don't know if you are looking for a VA, but if you are, i have experience in ecommerce, and would love to hear more about this! What kind of business do you run? how many hours a week do you need help with? Where are you positioned? thanks forward - Kasper

traditionalkid 2 years ago

Thanks for this it's really helpful. My business system is quite foolproof but I'm still hesitant on hiring. I do understand that having a full proof system will help but at the end of the day, it's a bit of taking a risk on hiring the right person There are a few things I think systems cannot help with. I'm still questioning: - the communication of the freelancer (since it's virtual) - the time when they think they are 'free' to work - whether they are competent - whether they will disappear in the middle of the project - whether they are over-optimistic about project estimates and how much they can actually get done It feels like a risk to hire that person thinking that they will satisfy the above criteria. Did you have any of the above questions when you hired your freelancer?