Data: How AMPs Affect Engagement Metrics

Another text post from me with summarized data on what impact AMPs have on engagement and conversions (source: Moz).

Key takeaways:

• After AMP implementation on 90% of pages, Thrilist saw a 70% increase in organic search traffic.
  • A big media company in the study converted 95% of pages to AMPs and saw a 67% lift in organic search traffic.
  • Ecommerce site Myntra saw a 40% drop in the bounce rate on pages transformed into AMPs.
  • Event Ticket Center saw a drop of 10% in the bounce rate, an increase in pages per session of 6%, a lift of 13% in session duration, and a huge 100% rise in sale conversions.
  • &

SEO | 👁 987 | Posted 2018-02-28 | Share on Facebook | Twitter | Google+

| Modified: 2018-02-28 | Author:

loudtyper 2 years ago

Could't make it work. Same boat as everyone else - the lack of navigational elements to let people see additional items/search for something new,or use taxonomy. The click to see an actual usable page was too difficult to get people in. My next attempt will be a "interstitial" that says "see the entire product info here" to get them into the real mobile web experience. I took an entire sprint to make this thing in a product cycle, and I can't for the life of me waste all the time/resources it took.

theiansider 2 years ago

Anyone see a drop in bounce rate when promoting AMP links over regular links?

dainiusrun 2 years ago

On the other hand, if Google's vision for mobile search is resulting in better engagement, doesn't that mean it serves and benefits the searcher?

dainiusrun 2 years ago

Being early in adopting AMPs gives you a leverage today. That leverage will decrease as we will reach widespread adoption. But once that happens, AMPs becomes a necessity as opposed to a nice-to-have thing. So implementing it today is a no-brainer.

ScarHand69 2 years ago

Increase in organic traffic shouldn't be surprising. Google will place pages optimized for AMP higher than non-AMP pages. I'm not sure how I feel about AMP. On one side I like it because it gets rid of a lot of the unnecessary JavaScript bloat that has become the new normal. On the other hand, this is basically Google dictating how they think the mobile web should work. Also, AMP pages are just plain and boring. AMP removes pretty much all scripting as well as a lot of CSS options. The end result is that AMP pages look like web pages from the early 2000's. Google is basically forking HTML into what they say/believe it should behave like for the mobile web and they can do it because they dominate search. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Google is broken up at some point in the near future due to their absolute market dominance.

RanIntoAces 2 years ago

For anyone who doesn't know what AMP is: Accelerated Mobile Pages https://www.ampproject.org

TechnicalSEO 2 years ago

I posted in WordPress sub asking about AMP and most people, including me, came to the conclusion it's a good move for blogs, news websites etc but for a website where you need to sell something or push a brand it's not that good as it's very limited.

TechnicalSEO 2 years ago

I was told yesterday that Ebay moved their whole website to AMP and I thought the same as you before but once you see how they implemented it, it makes more sense.

DanielODonnell 2 years ago

Curious... "40% drop in the bounce rate on pages transformed into AMPs". Did they add AMP so that they had AMP pages and normal web pages or did they make their entire site AMP pages?

DanielODonnell 2 years ago

I love AMP and I think now that Google has created a team to help Wordpress progress faster I believe that AMP will be included in every Wordpress install. I think AMP is only going to get better. But many sites still have not adopted it yet. I wonder if the initial 90% gain will decrease as others start using it. Clearly AMP controls a huge number of mobile search results and as more people get onboard with it... the competition increases. Love to see data in 3 or 6 months from now. Thanks for sharing this info.

Intersignmojo 2 years ago

Genuinely curious, how do you make an Ecommerce site AMP friendly. I have read that it is possible and people do it, but I just can't seem to imagine it. It also seems extremely difficult. Anybody have any examples of Ecommerce AMP pages out there?