Am I making this harder than it should be (B2B Sales)

Hi all. I own a retail ethnic grocery store and am looking to expand our offerings to local restaurants, bars, banquet halls, etc. I'm currently leveraging my network, calling, and physically driving around to ask local businesses if I could compete with their provider for goods. Is this the most effective way of going about it? Are there listings or services I'm not aware of that streamlines this process?

Thanks.

Smallbusiness | 👁 755 | Posted 2018-03-07 | Share on Facebook | Twitter | Google+

| Modified: 2018-03-07 | Author:

theshabz 2 years ago

Two biggest hurdles are a good existing relationship with the vendor they have or a desire to keep their flat rate, even knowing it costs them more overall.

jrwn 2 years ago

What exactly is happening when you call/go out and ask to talk to the manager? What are their pain points with their current providers, besides price. Why are they not switching back to you or getting back to you to talk more?

Plus_EeeVee 2 years ago

I'd suggest a cold email blast or a direct mail drop. What area are you in? Might be able to help you out with some data for a direct mail drop, have a lot of restaurant data nation wide.

theshabz 2 years ago

I don't think we have the same definition of leaflet drop. Now if you mean what I think you mean, I'm pretty sure I'd be facing the biggest littering fine in history.

darrensurrey 2 years ago

I'd be tempted to do a leaflet drop with a sample of prices, making it really obvious as to the savings, not just a vague "We can save you 10%". You've spoken to businesses so for instance could write "You are currently paying about $1 per kilo of lentils - our customers pay just 80c." Then follow up with a phone call a week or two later.

theshabz 2 years ago

Most are not, as the places I source from don't deliver. I know of the vendors many non-chain restaurants and bars use and I've seen the invoices and I know I can beat those prices for most of the year. These delivery sources offer a flat rate price on goods, even produce, but I've noticed that their flat rate as well above the average annual market rate. I have the data to back this up and those who are willing to deal with the off-season highs are giving me a try. My main problem isn't getting in the door, its finding the right doors to get in, as Los Angeles is massive and has tons of potential customers.

ColonelPants 2 years ago

If you are retail, maybe the restaurants you are approaching are sourcing their food from the same place or type of place you are?